Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Storytelling, Week 1


HUSH-A-BYE, baby, on the tree top;
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock;
When the bough bends, the cradle will fall;
Down will come baby, bough, cradle, and all.


(traditional nursery rhyme)


There was once a baby that was so sleepy that she became a bit unruly.
“Mommy”, she said, “Why is the wind rocking my cradle? I’m not ready for bed.”
The mom looked down and simply shook her head and told the daughter that it was time for bed.

Now after awhile the daughter kept fighting her sleep and began to tell her mom that she didn't need sleep and that she was going to be fine without it. Boy, was she wrong. The  mom knew that the daughter wouldn't last. The mom knew that the daughter would end up falling victim to the wind rocking cradle, that went back and forth steadily..


The mom let the daughter fight the sleep but she kept that maternal side eye on her throughout the night.

"Down will come baby, cradle and all"



(side eye mom)
While the baby was laying in her cradle she could feel herself starting to get sleepy but she knew that she was going to have to push through and show her mom she was a big kid. 



(sleepy baby)


After awhile however the baby kept yawning and yawning and knew that it was almost time to fall asleep. She couldn't fight it, no matter how hard she tried. 

The mom kept looking on and figured the baby had finally met her match.

She knew she had won..

    all she had to do was wait..

                and wait...





                   and wait.....
   



Eventually, the little baby couldn't take it anymore and she finally fell asleep.



The mom was victorious. 






Author's Note: This story was based off the nursery rhyme, "Hush a bye Baby" which is mentioned in the story and in the book (The Nursery Rhyme Book) http://www.gutenberg.org/files/26197/26197-h/26197-h.htm#Page_221, it is edited by Andrew Lang. The rhyme is just known to have helped children fall asleep and it is pretty common. 





References:

Title: The Nursery Rhyme Book
Author: Unknown
Editor: Andrew Lang
Illustrator: L. Leslie Brooke
Release Date: August 6, 2008 [EBook #26197]
Language: English
Character set encoding: ISO-8859-1
 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Danielle!

    I was very intrigued by your story from the first line. It is so recognizable, but I have not heard it in such a long time! I think the use of the line hush-a-bye, baby in your first line helps you connect to your reading audience really well! Again, this recognition is not only recognizable in your first line, but the first paragraph where you complete the nursery rhyme. :-)

    I must say that I absolutely love you use of the the mom GIF and the sleeping baby. This really made your story pop with excitement! However, don’t forget to cite the source of these images. It is very important!

    I think every can relate one way or another to the unruly sleepy baby! I love how you adapted the nursery rhyme to give dialogue to the mother and baby outside of the original story. Why do kids always have to question bed time? So annoying. I remember trying to stay up all night when I was a kid and I could never make it to sunrise!

    I am glad that the mom was victorious in her venture to have the baby fall asleep, but a small part of me wanted the baby to win, but I guess that would have been a different lullaby.

    As part of the Project Feedback assignment I wanted to give some good feedback for your storytelling post. I am going to run through the list pretty quickly, but I wanted to let you know that you did an excellent job with your storytelling post this week and overall the flow of the story was great!
    - One thing I noticed was lack of really intense description. Your writing was good and you made clear sense. I think your storybook could be improved a little more if you used really descriptive words to make the reader really feel the characters. For example, in this sentence... "While the baby was laying in her cradle she could feel herself starting to get sleepy.” This sentence is crying for some descriptive words. How was the baby laying in the cradle? Willingly or Fighting? How was the baby fighting the sleep? Crying voluptuously or silently?

    Again I thought you did wonderfully with your story! Keep up the good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't even start reading the whole blog until I sang the song in my head!
    I really like how you used the side eye mom gif, it's pretty amusing. In general, I think your story is a good fleshing out of this will known lullaby. My niece is just over a year old so I can relate to this quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on storytelling, Danielle!

    I actually recalled the scene that my mom was letting my little sister fall into sleep. She did not use a cradle; she was hold my little sister and singing Chinese traditional song. It was like magic; my little sister stopped crying and became more and more quiet. And finally she fell into sleep. Mom always won that! I also tried few times, but I could not do it like my mom did. Maybe my sister could feel the difference.

    ReplyDelete